01 December 2011

Giving Thanks

I used to feel so picked on.  Growing up with 4 siblings, I remember thinking that I had to share way too much, and that my friends always got everything they wanted.  It seemed like everything always worked out for everyone else around me, and that I always got the short end of the stick.  You know that woe is me sort of attitude. 

I not only felt like I never got what I wanted, but that I wasn't talented enough, pretty enough, smart enough - I could go on.  Fortunately I've grown up a bit since then.  I've learned that what you put out into the world is exactly what comes back to you.  I've learned that I am in charge of my happiness.  I decide if I'm going to be happy or not.  It has absolutely nothing to do with what happens to me or what other people say or think.  I choose.

I turned 40 this year, and can hardly believe it.  My life could be half over!  That sort of blows my mind, but it also means that I have a lot of life to look back on to see how blessed I have been all along.  Things always seem to work out for our best huh?  The mercy of a loving Heavenly Father never ceases to amaze me.  If I were Him, I would have given up on me a long time ago.  Yet He is still reaching out to me and calling me home.  That gives me hope.  That makes me grateful, and when I see the good, more seems to flow in.  What comes around goes around right? 

This year I am grateful that God hasn't given up on me. 

I am also grateful that my apple pie turned out like this . . .


Okay, it's not perfect, but I was impressed with myself AND it tasted good.  Everything was really good.  We had great friends over and Corey spent the day making rubber band guns for the 7 boys who were here.


Then we got to visit the house from "A Christmas Story".  The actual house.  Of course they filmed the interior shots on a set, but it's the house in all the outside shots. 





It was difficult to get pictures without other people in them.


"Daddy's going to kill Ralphie"

"My mother hasn't eaten a hot meal in 13 years."



There is a little museum with actual props from the film.  This is the "show me how the piggie eats" bib.

 It was a fun day after Thanksgiving activity.  Since we were close, we also went to Kirtland to see all the church history sights and lighting ceremony.  Great day!  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and can see all the good in your life.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so in awe that you got to tour this house. That is our all-time favorite Christmas movie. Lucky you!!

Johns Family said...

It was a wonderful day. Thanks for letting us spend time with your family...the boys never put those guns down, and Cory was right...rubber bands all over the house. :)

Sharon said...

Melissa, you are one of the most wonderful people I know. That pie is amazing!!! Hey, they sell leg lamp night lights on Amazon... I think you guys need one of those. Put it in the room with the big fish ; )

The Yosts said...

I laughed so hard with the Christmas story "reenactments". And your pie looks amazing!