19 April 2009

Boys' Room Finished?

Its difficult for me to declare a room "finished". I'm never really satisfied with a room, but I think the boys' room is there. So I found Keller's bed in the garbage around the corner from our house. I drove by twice and finally got up the nerve to take it. I did this once before for a chair, but I feel so trashy doing it. I'm afraid the people will coming running out of their house yelling at me to stop digging through their trash. I know its stupid. I've seen people take stuff that I've put out, and it makes me feel good that it won't go the landfill, but to something useful or be sold for scrap metal or something. Anyway as I picked up the bed pieces, I came to the last part, the head board. It had large chunks missing out of the posts where the rails slide in, there was nail polish all over the bed and of course covered in stickers. Well Corey worked his McGyver magic and fixed it all then I painted it. Not bad for free. All of the rest of the furniture was purchased through Craig's list for a great deal and painted as well. Now Corey is going to make a duplicate bed for Mason (so technically the room is not finished - see). Next I forced Corey to make shelves for all of Keller's lego creations which seem to be irresistable to little hands. Lastly I tuned into my inner Picasso and created the fish pictures. Well maybe Picasso as a four year old child, but I like them anyway. There's nothing like standing back and feeling finished with something. Forget about the missing bed, that's only a minor detail.






Sorry the pictures are kind of fuzzy, it wasn't the best time of day for lighting.

6 comments:

The Yosts said...

looks amazing! I love the shelves you made. Can you come decorAte my house?!

Casey said...

What a cool room! Looks like a page from a magazine! (Except for the missing bed of course)

Laura said...

So cute! I need to find a free bed like that...awesome!

Hill Kids said...

Supa cute! Love the nautical theme. I got garage shelves from a neighbor's trash--score!

Sachiko said...

Oh-my-gosh Melissa!! I love the room!! You did such a wonderful job. It looks like a room from the Pottery Barn catalog. Your boys are so lucky!

Brooke said...

You find all the cool stuff! The room looks great (as if anyone is surprised!).