14 June 2009

The Biggest Ladder I've Ever Seen

I love a good two story entry unless you've got a huge brassy chandelier hanging down from the middle of it. I've wanted to get my hands and a can a spray paint on that thing since the day we moved in. But how to get to it? Our extension ladder is great for painting the walls of said entry, but its tricky to use to take a chandelier down. I didn't think that spraying from an extension ladder would turn out very well either. So I figured "some day" we'll rent scaffolding and get it done (knowing full well that it would never happen). I envisioned a realtor coming in our home in 20 years when we are moving and telling us that brass is out and forcing us to finally do something about it for someone else. Maybe in 20 years, brass will be all the rage. . . I digress. Once while complaining to a friend about my problem, she informed me that her forensic structural engineer PHD or something husband can get us a 20 foot A-frame ladder. It sounded like it would be tall enough, but I had no idea what a monster it would turn out to be.



The ladder is unbelievable! Its also super heavy and awkward, but I helped carry it in and set it up. Corey somehow got the light back in place and the ladder out of the house the next day without breaking anything. I'm glad I wasn't here to witness that! Thanks John Hema for the biggest ladder I've ever seen.

So there it is all pretty with a new coat of black paint. Sorry to all you brass fans who are cringing at the grafitti, but I can't handle the gold. Now it matches all the door knobs I changed and that gives me a great sense of calm and order in my life. Now if I could just win the lottery and get new countertops and all new flooring. . .

5 comments:

The Yosts said...

I need to get my hands on that ladder for our fire alaram that is so high up I even wonder if that ladder would make it.

Laura said...

Really pretty transformation, Melissa! And the tornado sounds scary. At least you had a chip-filled pantry to hang out in!

Wendy said...

That looks so nice. You're straight off an HGTV show!

Casey said...

Very nice! And even if brass does become all the rage again...I will still hate it! I need to do that to my ugly dining room light.

Jennie Blaser said...

what a great idea. I have an eyesore of a chandelier as well -- brass and those hanging crystal things. I think I just need to replace it -- but the height issue has kept us from doing it.