09 September 2009

New Office Floor

I was checking out a new blog (http://www.theletteredcottage.net/) and got a great idea.  This woman stained her existing plywood subfloor and then painted a checkerboard pattern over top.  I've always loved this checkerboard look and painted wood floors, but never had wood floors that I was willing to paint.  Well subfloor is super cheap, so I thought let's give it a try.  Well you know how it goes, Corey got on board (surprisingly quickly might I add) and then suddenly we were buying super cheap solid hardwood floors for his office.  We got utility grade 3 1/4" oak floors for 99 cents a sqare foot.  You can't beat that!  So this weekend we glued the hardwood to the cement floor, stained it antique brown, and then had second thoughts about painting it.  Mostly it was the difficulty of the diamond pattern that was making me hesitate.  So at 10:30 on Saturday night Corey bought a chalk line and we figured out the pattern.  We taped everything off and I painted away until 2 in the morning.  Here are some pictures of the process.  I'll post again when we have the office put back together with new baseboards.  The plan is to have Corey put in built in bookcases all along the back wall and paint them white.  I really love how the floor turned out.  And I really love working on things like this with my sweet husband.  He was the one who wouldn't give up on the diamonds.

The glue was a huge mess.  I still have it all over my legs and feet.

Pre-stain
It looked really good before the paint, so I was a little scared.


Here it is!  I really love it.

10 comments:

Casey said...

It's not fair that you're BOTH so freaking talented!!! Really cute! If Cory ever leaves you, I call dibs (just don't tell Matt)!

Cindi said...

VERY cool! I love it!

Kim said...

You never cease to amaze me Melissa. I just will you lived closer so your talent and decorating could rub off on me. I looks great.

Laura said...

Wow, that's really cool! I'm about to paint diamonds on Emily's walls and am a little scared.

Amy said...

I love this! I would never be brave enough to paint a wood floor but I absolutely love it! I definitely want a pic of the bookselves/floor boards/ finished product. Good work.

Jennie Blaser said...

I think it looks great! How fun to work on something like that together. We need to redo our floors... we might just copy. Dave like the all stained look. I loved the diamonds.

Sharon said...

You're killing me, Neddo. : )

Sachiko said...

I love the floor!! I wish you guys still live next to us...

JEN said...

Love the floor!

V and Co. said...

oooooh my gosh! LOVE IT!!!!