Yes, I love Christmas, but I love December today because it gives me a little more power over my children. The eve of December 1st we pulled out our Elf on the Shelf book and reminded the children that Buddy was going to start coming again. We read our scriptures, said prayers and I said, "time for bed". I got the usual complaints, but all I had to say was, "Buddy, the Elf is watching you" and they all quickly ran for their beds. We didn't hear another word from them all night. I love December! Thank you Santa and elves for seeing when they're sleeping and seeing when they're awake. Kids are especially good in December or at least are especially easy to reign in when they're not. Here's what Buddy left us this morning:
Sorry its small, but if I make it any bigger than original size, it gets blurry. Aren't they cute? They're hand tattoos from the Container Store.
All this elf stuff reminds me of a funny story from a few years back. One of those that you say "I have to write this down". So I will. We have an advent box with 25 little doors. Before Buddy came to our house an unknown elf would leave a little treat in the corresponding door each day. Once he left a note (I wrote it with my left hand) telling the kids "hi". Keller was in 1st grade and when he saw the note, he said, "Ya know, I used to think the elf was you, but now I think its me. That's my handwriting!" When I asked him how he was managing to be the elf without even knowing it himself. He said, "I guess I'm doing it in my sleep." I guess I have the handwriting of a 1st grader if I use my left hand.
Well, enjoy December you fellow parents! Get 'em to bed early while you can.

3 comments:
Cute story!
That is so funny!!!
LOVE the elf!
Post a Comment