04 February 2011

Snow Day 4

The kids haven't been to school since Monday.  We got a little snow and a lot of ice on Monday night and the temperature hasn't gotten above freezing since.  Therefore the roads are covered in sheets of ice and Texas, apparently, doesn't have salt or enough sand to remedy the situation.  At least today its snowing again so, we have actual snow for our snow day.

It reminds me of a time when I was in high school living outside of Washington D.C.  We got a lot of snow one day, the cities couldn't deal with it.  They had a policy of waiting until it stopped snowing before they sent the plows out.  Well it just kept coming.  Then as soon as they'd plow, another storm would hit.  We were out of school for 9 consecutive days while the mayor of D.C. was stuck in Jamaica.  Remember Mayor Barry, the marijuana smoker?  It was great fun and the schools canceled our midterm exams because of it.  I guess that's why I still get a little excited at the prospect of snow and school cancelations, then it hits me that it means all the kids are home.  This week has actually turned out to be really relaxing.  We get to sleep in, stay up a little later, my Jane Austen book came on Monday, and the kids are playing in the snow for most of the day.  It has made me forget the fact that our house is going on the market in a week and a half which is exactly what I needed to forget.  Happy snow day #4 Texas!

Sadie obviously doesn't know what you do in the snow.


4 comments:

The Yosts said...

We too have enjoyed out snow days. I love just chillin and not being too productive - I needed it. Your story from when you were younger is hilarious!

Megan said...

Snow in Texas!?! That is a crazy week for you! Good luck with the house selling and enjoy the white stuff!

Laura said...

We have plasma cars too. The kids love them! When are you going to move to NC? Hope all goes well with the transition.

Jamie said...

Haven't heard anything from you in a long while. How goes the house selling? Thinking of you!