16 August 2011

Changing of the Knobs

Gold seems to be coming back in fashion, and is creeping slowly into the home fashion scene as well.  However brass, gold's tacky cousin (I don't know if they are really related), hasn't made a come back.  Therefore one of my first items of business in this new house is to purge it of all things brass.  I've done this a number of times.  I've spray painted chandeliers, hand painted shower surrounds and door hinges.  When it comes to door knobs you just have to replace them. 



Emtek 810OT
These are the ones I wanted, but at $100 each, I decided to go a different route.

I bought most on sale at Menards then had to order what they didn't have online at Build.com.
Kwikset 488CV




Unscrew all the screws.

You're left with a hole like this.

The new beautiful oil rubbed bronze knob.

Instantly updated knob and strike plate.
The door knobs were on sale for $13 for the privacy sets (locking for bathrooms), $12 for the passage sets (no more locking doors in kids' rooms), and $4 for the dummy knobs (non turning for closets).  I ordered 3 exterior sets with dead bolts for $30 each.  I didn't do the front door yet.  Currently its an aged brass which is less offensive than shiny brass and in the past I bought a cheap set on Ebay and it lost its finish, so I'm waiting to buy a nice one that won't disintegrate over time. 

Now I am just going to paint the brass hinges with white paint made for metal instead of replacing them.  New hinges would be $8 per door and when you rehang a door, you always take the risk that it won't hang correctly and you'll end up with a ghost door.  You know the kind that won't stay open.  I've had to use too many magnetic door stops in my time to risk it.  Speaking of door stops, I still need to order them, but they run about $1 a piece.

It is truly amazing what a difference this change makes.  It really makes the place feel like a new house.  Next are the light fixtures.  We're going with replacement rather than spray paint for these beauties.



I'm thinking something more like this . . .

And this . . .


I don't know if I'll do the yellow stripe, but isn't it so cute?  Stay tuned for more changes.  I'm working on the wood paneling in the family room. 

4 comments:

Johns Family said...

You are so inspiring!!!

The Yosts said...

Thanks for posting where you are finding the items you are replacing. I'll have a good reference to look back on it ever I need it!

Love the Melissia-fying you are doing! Great befores and afters

Jamie said...

Holy smokes, what a huge improvement! Love the knobs, love the lights (do tell where you found those lights!).

Losing Weight With CHOCOLATE said...

Love the knobs and the light fixtures. Are you tired yet??? How is YW going? Emily wishes you were her YW President. :)