11 August 2011

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

My wonderful, handy husband fixed the refrigerator water line on Saturday.  We cheered all day Sunday and Monday every time we got cold, refreshing, filtered water from the fridge.  We'd say, "Yay Daddy!!".  Tuesday morning I hear that same wonderful man vaccuming at 6 AM.  This was a little curious, so I went to investigate.  There he was with the wet/dry vac sucking up gallons of cold, refreshing, filtered water that had poured out of the fridge all over the floor.  The line came loose and made a mess of things.  The kitchen is all hardwood, so we frantically tried to clean that up.  Then we ventured into the basement.  Water had poured out of the ceilings, traveled along ducts and soaked half of the game room.  It was a huge mess.  I called insurance and they sent a clean up crew which was great, but when they left this is what our house looked like.
Industrial fans and dehumidifiers were placed all over to dry things out.


My freshly painted kitchen trim was ripped from the wall to let the drywall dry out.

We called this the Octopus.  Apparently it was injecting air into the wood floors.
No biggie, right?  Well the fans and dehumidifiers were super loud.  We thought we could handle it for a night or so.  Well a week later they finally felt it was dry enough to take them out.  We're glad they are gone.  The kids had the TV volume at 57 at times.  I was afraid they would blow the speakers.

The damage is pretty extensive.  The wood floors got wet by the fridge of course, but the water ran under the floors into the family room and dining room.  So all the wood is warped a little.  Insurance is going to help us out, we're just waiting to hear what they'll pay for.  This could turn out to be a more extensive remodel than I originally set out to do, but on someone else's dime.  So once again, we are saying, "Yay Daddy!".

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow. Yuck. Awful. Except for the part where you get to choose new flooring and someone else pays for it...

Johns Family said...

Could you send Cory over to fix a few things over here :)

Jamie said...

Oh, I sure hope this works out in your favor. What a way to break in a new home! Thinking of you.

Kim said...

Wow, you have been through a lot. I'm glad the insurance company with help out. You are amazing to have already painted too. Wow.

buckeyebaby said...

Not a good way to start out in Ohio. It's always something. I would like to know how you get your painting done so fast. We've been in our house for 7 years and have 3 rooms painted!