14 October 2011

Problem Solved?

Here's a picture of the table that we bought when we first got married.


See the problem?  Two adults plus 5 children does not equal 6.  Even I can do that math, so Corey and I found ourselves standing at the counter during meals.  Not quite what I had in mind when I made the decision to have as many meals together as a family as we could.  (Yes, the formal dining room had a table that fit 8, but don't get me started with all the reasons that I didn't want to eat in there every night.  It was the source of much debate, believe me.)  So, when we moved into our Ohio house where there was actually room for a bigger table IN THE KITCHEN, we went to an Amish furniture store and ordered a custom table.

After 13 weeks of waiting, it arrived this morning and it is so beautiful.  My new chairs (a smoking deal at World Market) finally made their way out of the furniture waiting room.  We'll see how long the upholstered chairs remain at the table.  I've got two wood arm chairs that I bought years ago waiting in the wings.




We went with a brown sugar maple for the material, medium distressing, hand rolling (the scrapes), bread board ends, two self-storing leaves and some special glaze that has a weird name.  Originally I wanted turned legs with the entire bottom painted white, but I couldn't fathom covering any more wood than I already have, so I went for the simple shaker style legs.  Either would have looked good.  I think this look will stand the test of time, because I will probably never need another table in my lifetime. 

So, you ask, why is there a question mark on the post title?  The problem now is that I don't want anyone to eat food on this beautiful piece of workmanship.  I see placemats in the near future.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh wow! How much would shipping to Utah be on a table like that? I love it! You for sure need placemats or even a glass top on that gorgeous thing.

Johns Family said...

I think it was definately worth the wait! Very cool, and I love the chairs :)

Megan said...

It is gorgeous! I want it!