16 March 2012

Addison is Six

My sweet little Addison turned six this past weekend.  Poor thing had a lot of competition for attention on her big day.  I will elaborate.  It all began a month ago when the stake president (church leader over the Akron area) wanted us to come to his home.  Corey was told 4 times to make sure to bring his wife (me) and that the visit would take about an hour.  Well, we're not stupid.  The current bishop (church leader over a smaller congregation) has been serving for over 5 years and it was time for a new one.  You see where I'm going.  Corey was called to be the new bishop of our ward.  For an entire month, we had to keep it quiet and it was tough.  Especially when the previous bishop announced a week in advance that we were getting a new one.  I had to lay low that week while everyone speculated who it would be.  The weekend it was to be announced happened to fall the day after Addy's birthday.  Corey's parents wanted to come and be here for all of it.  So, we had an amazing weekend celebrating Addison's birthday, visiting with Corey's parents, and finally getting to freely talk about him being the bishop.  I'm excited and scared for him all at once.  He'll be amazing though.

Back to Addison.  I can't believe my little girl is 6.  She has turned out to be such a beautiful girl with a whole lot of spunk in her.  She is definitely sassy.  I like it most of the time.  She's the one who when told she needed to eat her peas, she replied "I don't like them".  When I said, "they like you".  She quickly said, "I know why they like me.  'Cause I don't eat them."  She is sassy AND smart.  She loves to create things out of junk.  Addy comes home with pockets full of "treasures" every time we go somewhere.  Her favorite is the little perforated price portion of the Old Navy tags.  Now you know who is taking all of those off.  Here's an example of her latest creation.





All of these items are found items.  I especially love the penny taped to the straw.  It's a commentary on the nation's current financial struggles, but I'm not sure what the commentary is.  She is an artistic genius right?  We wouldn't know what to do without our favorite six year old.  Happy Birthday Addison!

2 comments:

The Yosts said...

Can't believe she's 6! I remember when you were pregnant with her- boy how time flies!

Jamie said...

Holy cow, Melissa! Happy birthday to darling Addison. Congrats (is that the right thing to say?) to Corey! Happy he got a lot of honey do's done before this new calling.