01 August 2012

The Basement

My mother keeps bugging me to post pictures of the basement makeover.  I haven't done it yet, because I don't feel satisfied with the things I've done so far.  When that happens, all progress stops.  At this very moment I have bathroom vanity doors that are freshly painted and waiting to be put back into place, and I already want to change the color.  That's the way I roll . . . apparently.  So, I'll post some pictures of what I've done and maybe you can tell me what to fix.

Here's the pub that we inherited when we bought the house.  Yes, I get the irony of a non-drinking family with a close to authentic English pub. 



We wanted an ice cream parlor, but I thought the nautical route would be easier to pull of with the existing elements.  I like the results in here.  I still need to finish aging the beams and a bench seat, but I like the lighter version of everything.  The bar stools are a collection of left behind pieces, one we had and two I've bought that are actually tall enough for the counter.  I plan to have matching stools eventually.






My favorite thing that I found at the marine store.


Here's the main living area.  Right now it's just the kid cave.  We have a ping pong table, but don't dare set it up permanently.  We have visions of kids dancing on top of it.  You know it would happen.  I don't love the color on the walls.  It's a little intense.  I keep telling myself that it's just for the kids, so it's perfect.  I'll most likely leave it, because I do not want to repaint it.  It needs bigger furniture and an entertainment cabinet instead of a desk (we sold the one that Corey built to the people who bought our house).  I'd like to do built ins on either side of the firplace and make a spot for the TV there.  I'd turn the seating group towards the fireplace.  The yellow and red thing in the corner are some sort of gymnastics apparatus that the previous owners left behind in case you were wondering. 


I painted this wall with chalkboard paint, so the kids can be creative.  It did have some cute drawings on it before I took this photo.  I guess they cleaned it off.  What good children.  Behind this wall is the full bathroom. 


Here I painted the working side of the door red.   I can't decide if I like it.  Like the walls, it'll probably stay that way.  The framed polka dot wrapping paper is an easy trick for artwork. 


Here's another room off of the main kid cave that will probably be a craft room/guest room. 


Now for that bathroom.  I've painted the cabinets and do not like them.  They are gray/blue.  I think I'm going to paint them red.  Votes?  We're going to put in cheap wood laminate flooring and keep the walls neutral.  The mirror will either be replaced or go white.  Then a new faucet.  Just your basic cheap makeover.


That's it.  I hope Nana is happy!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I love it! Very good job!

The Yosts said...

I like it! The accents in red are awesome. What a clever idea to do a chalkboard wall - do you find lots of chalk dust everywhere? What color did you use in your ice cream parlor - was it sea salt?

Amy said...

I LOVE the red accents and I LOVE the non purple walls-the lighter colors in the pub area look so awesome! I also LOVE the sign-I noticed it in the first picture before the close up even. Anyway, good job and when you hire out your decorating skills put me first on the list of appointments! By the way the bug idea for Jocelyn and Creed=BRILLIANT!!!! Seriously. I hope you are surviving being the bishops wife and that all the kiddos are cooperating.