29 November 2008

Christmas Shopping

We just got back from Toys R Us. We took the kids shopping for each other. It was actually really fun. We told them that they had $10 to spend on each other, and that they needed to find something that the others would really like. Keller said, "that's easy, you just go to the aisle of the things you don't like and pick something". He was evidently thinking of the girls and those "pink" aisles. I had to laugh though. So we fed them at Chipotles, which is SO good if you have one nearby go eat there. Back to the story. So I took the boys to help them find something for the girls and Corey took the girls to find something for the boys. Mason changed his mind many times. Keller seemed to really think about his choices, but hurried off to look at his stuff. We met up and hid everything under coats in the cart. Then since Addison couldn't pick anything due to the fact that she was so distracted by everything she wants. I finally got her to choose some things for her siblings. Then we had the boys buy for each other, then the same with the girls. The only one who lost out was Sadie. We thought we'd just have them combine their money and get her one thing, but she really can't enjoy much right now. So we decided to wait and think about it. She got 282 diapers though! All in all it was a good time. I really want the kids to experience the joy of giving and stop thinking about all they'll get. Its a start!

I've got most of my shopping done too. I ordered most of it on the Internet. Its so much easier than going to the stores. It also drives the kids wild to see the packages rolling in without finding out what's inside. I love making them crazy. Oh! We e-mailed Santa today too. We went to www.emailsanta.com and they write their e-mail and Santa responds instantly with a personalized letter. We did four letters and all of them were different. The kids get really excited to print their letters and then they are finally committed to choosing what they want. Check it out. Its free.

Well I better go hide the things we got. I think we finally have some good snoopers this year.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That is such a fun idea! We might have to try that this year now that Katie and Emily are really into Christmas traditions. We are definitely going to e-mail Santa too (BTW - I did check out your blog the other day and saw your new Christmas background and laughed! I forgot to post that) And that book, the Woman in White, we are discussing it tomorrow night and I will have to give you the consensus from that - I really liked it! It is a mystery, suspense with a little romance in it. It is a really old book and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I got into it! You might have to give it a try!

Casey said...

A few years ago, we decided to start drawing names (it saves alot of aggravation with 5 kids). So all of our names (even mom and dad) go into a hat, and we have $20 to buy a gift for that person. We do the coat over the cart thing too...usually at Target! That made me laugh! I love Sadeie's diaper present too...just what she always wanted! Isn't it funny how the baby is the easiest to buy for, but the only one who doesn't care???