03 July 2009

Wrinkle Free (warning somewhat graphic photos)

I survived my surgeries yesterday. You would have thought it was Christmas morning to look at the children up early and so excited to get to go to friends houses for the day. We got them all farmed out (a big THANK YOU to those of you who helped out). First I had to go to the Dermatologist who specializes in cancer surgery. After several attempts and much poking, they got me all numb, so they could cut the spot out. The surgeon came in and was much too peppy for me. It made me suspicious, like he was trying to make me feel like it was no big deal. It didn't fool me. So he started cutting and the noise alone was more than I could take. Then the snipping and burning flesh smell as they stopped the bleeding. I did feel the burning and a little twirling feeling in some spots, but it was more the anticipation of pain that was making me crazy. They finished and rushed the skin off to their lab while I was sent to the lobby with a huge bandage on my head. Corey didn't want to look for some reason. I for sure didn't want to see. They said that 80% of the time they get it all with the first cutting, but they'd let me know. Fifteen minutes later I was told to come back, they had to cut out just a little more. They got the rest and I prayed that would be the last time I'd have to go back. It was. They sent me off to the plastic surgeon. I was tempted, but I didn't look at it during the 10 minute drive to the surgery center. Corey got to take a peek at the surgery center when the surgeon looked at it. He said it was a hole the size of a silver dollar that went all the way down to the muscle. GAG!

They were super fast at the surgery center. I hardly waited 2 minutes in the lobby, then they got an IV in me and minutes later we were on our way to the operating room. Corey said I was in there for 45 minutes before they came and got him to see me. I woke up feeling great. No goofy stories for Corey to use against me at the next family reunion. It was a little strange to be in that sort of setting and not be having a baby. I was glad to be leaving empty handed this time.

So I'm doing really well. I haven't taken a pain pill since 3:30 this morning and I mostly just feel tightness and pain to touch. The pain pills put me to sleep, so maybe later when I feel like napping, but I don't want to sleep anymore right now. I just pulled off the bandage to take a look at the stitches and staples. You can see that I look like the Bride of Frankenstein and my hair is still bloody, but I can't get the wound wet yet, so I'll be a red head for today. Here are some pictures, sorry if they make you sick, but people want to see. Notice how smooth and tight my forehead is.


6 comments:

MamiJo said...

Wow, quite the story. Glad you fared well, congrats on the new head. I hope you're able to enjoy the 4th/anniversary weekend, call me when you're ready for a break!

Jennie Blaser said...

thanks for the update. glad it is over. the pictures were worth another 1000 words-- it doesn't look like fun. Hope you get to feeling better!

Amy said...

You are seriously brave! I think the results look awesome. Hopefully it feels awesome soon too!

Kim said...

Wow Melissa, I'm glad it all went well. Quite the story. I'm glad they got it all. I hope you heal up and feel better soon.

Sachiko said...

Wow... that is a big scar! I am glad that everything went well and I hope you will heal quickly. Thank you for the updates. Miss ya!

Wendy said...

Ouch ouch ouch. And ouch. I am like you with pain, esp. at the dentist--it's the anticipation of pain that's worse than the actual pain. Your scar is healing really well. Glad it's done and over. I tell my dentist every time I'm in his chair that I'd rather have another c-section than get dental work done. I think I've scared him off for a while.