06 February 2009

This One's for You Mom




Okay, so I was living in Michigan, wishing I had a chair in my bedroom for nursing, didn't have the money to buy said chair and then I experienced a chair miracle! I was washing my dishes one morning (you have to be doing good deeds in order for miracles to happen to you) and I looked out my window and my neighbor had a wingback chair in their garbage. I grabbed my ever-so-muscular 7 year old boy and made him come "help me". I just wanted someone else to look like an idiot with me. I carried that thing back to the house. It was in great shape. I even liked the orange fabric, but it had an ink stain on the side of it. So it sat like that in my bedroom for a year or so, then my mom, the excellent seamstress, came to visit. I put her to work. I had previously upholstered a couch and chair and due to tramatic injuries couldn't handle doing another piece. (I sewed my finger into the piping I was making.) My mother did a great job; better than I would have done, but she had to go before the skirt was attached. She even made all of the pieces for the skirt. I just had to attach them. Well that chair stayed that way with raw edges hanging down until last week. That muscular boy just turned 10, so you do the math. I finally finished it, because it graduated from the bedroom to the family room. I, and my mother are so proud. I need to paint the legs now, but that's a post for two years from now. I guess I just need unfinished things around me to give me purpose in life.

5 comments:

V and Co. said...

i call that the "85 to 95%-er syndrome" i'm the queen. i need to do that to a couple of chairs at my house but i hyperventilate every time i think about starting it. your chair looks awesome!

The Yosts said...

The chair looks great and I like your cute pillow with it.

Jennie Blaser said...

it looks great. I would not even know where to begin when upholstering! sorry about your finger.

Sachiko said...

The chair looks great, high five for you and your mom!! I miss the days that we were able to send morse code or just use the door stopper to contact each other.

Casey said...

Good job! I've done that procrastinating thing more things than I can count...Christmas stockings, scrapbook pages, a quilt my mom started that's still in the basement...oi!

BTW, I love how you decorate! Someday when I can afford to re-do everything, I'm going to hire you as my personal decorator!